Manual or Manna?

Manual or manna? A one time read or an everyday feed?
There are those who read the Bible, God’s Word to us, in order to gain knowledge concerning historical events or maybe to build an argument on any given topic. Some may read it as a ritual, following along in a religious service, or they may treat is as a horoscope reading hoping for a little guidance for the day. Face it, making decisions is often difficult. If there’s an easy way out take it.
I don’t feel that any of these reasons are in themselves wrong. I think of someone who has just purchased a piece of furniture from Ikea. Yeah, it comes in a box, so my temptation has been to shove  it into the corner in my bedroom, drape a runner over the top and use it as a dresser. After all that’s what the box says it is. But in order to get maximum usage out of it I need to take all the pieces out of the box, read the instructions and use the recommended tools. In the end I will have a chest that actually has usable drawers for storing various items of clothing!
When God led the children of Israel through the desert thousands of years ago He also provided them with manna on a daily basis as long as they were in the desert. There was no other food available except for the quail which was also supernaturally provided by God. This was their sustenance, without it they would have died of starvation. Yes, our puny minds can’t understand but I believe it simply because I have put my faith in this God and therefore choose to believe.
In fact, I go to the Word of God every day and read it, meditate on it as a cow chews her cud, ingesting it into my spirit and letting it become my spiritual sustenance. It gives me strength, it brings joy, it brings peace and comfort and yes it gives direction too! I am taught about long ago happenings and situations, it gives me answers to questions whether in my own mind or voiced by others, and here’s the good news; it is not limited to any one of those.
God’s Word, when taken in every day becomes my miracle manna slowly but steadily changing me on the inside till the outside of me bears the evidence.
I have seen people literally come out of a shell of fear, low self esteem and lack of self confidence by daily taking in the manna of God’s Word and letting it do it’s work in them. This is the work of a miracle. All too often if our finite human minds can’t figure it out we think we have the option of choosing what we will believe and what we will leave behind. So how do I decide which part of the Bible is true and which part isn’t?
I feed on it daily and love its truth more every day. It is my strength, my joy , my peace, my companion and direction....
I have made the choice to believe. Period.

Comments

Popular Posts