Notice the Signs

It was a long lonely road. Somehow I didn’t really feel the loneliness in my very depths. I love music, so the hours on the road were basically one very long sing-along, and a loud one at that! I was extremely grateful for clear, sunny days and a dry highway. Put that all together with the fact that I was on my way home and my joy could not be dampened.
I had just left my two daughters, son-in-law, and three young grandsons in Winnipeg after spending two weeks there. As I drove away from their house and turned the corner at the end of their street, the tears flowed freely. I missed them already and knew that ‘my’ boys would have grown up so much more by the time I see them again. By the time I reached the city’s perimeter highway the tears were gone and I was settling in for the many miles ahead, a smile lighting my face. The reason being, my real life awaited me at the end of the road.
As I travelled I looked forward to seeing the mileage signs; to Brandon, to Regina, Swift Current, then Medicine Hat, Brooks and finally Calgary! The downward trend in the numbers became a continual lift to my spirits as I sailed west!
Shortly after passing Regina the flat tablelands began to disappear, the gently rolling hills began. This is when I really sat up and took notice. This is definitely one of the signs that I’m nearing home! The gentle rolls became a little more distinct and decisive as I continued west of Swift Current aka Speedy Creek!
About this time, I began to be on the lookout for wild life alongside the road, because this is the place where ‘the deer and the antelope play’, mostly the antelope. That is, if you can spot them. They are cleverly clothed in coats that blend so beautifully with the dry, brown grass of the hills this time of year.
And there it is, that scenic dip into the South Saskatchewan River valley, at the west end of Medicine Hat! I always look forward to that part of the drive. Not only is it a beautiful spot , but brings me to less than three hours from home!
As I roll steadily towards the end of the trip and my arrival home, I can’t help but think about this road we’re all on called LIFE; are we enjoying the ride? Are we just dragging our way through because it’s something we have to do, or do we make the most of every opportunity? Do we give it our all as we look forward to our final, forever home?
The signs of my imminent arrival at home keep popping up more and more frequently. In no time it seems, I arrive and find myself in the arms of the one I love!
One of these days the road of life will end for me and I will find myself in the loving arms of my Heavenly Father who right now is standing and cheering me on, urging me to look around and watch for the signs that Home is near.
In Mathew chapter twenty four, Jesus’ disciples asked Him to tell them what would be the sign of His return and the end of the age. Jesus then proceeds to teach them; if you read through the chapter you will find a lot of signs listed that we ‘see’ or hear about every day on the news, and increasing in frequency and intensity just like labour pains which is what Jesus likened them to.
As we travel this road let’s be aware of the signs around us, pointing us toward home and before we know it we will arrive; right now we’re on the way TO the party!

Comments

Popular Posts