Service with a Smile

It was a bright, crisp Saturday morning as we stood at our back door chatting out a long ‘good-bye’ with our departing guests. Every few minutes I glanced into the kitchen trying to keep an eye on our youngest child, then two. With an inward chuckle I followed her progress as she began to clear the breakfast table. One dish at a time she cleared away the morning’s muck and mire ( we have four kids, okay??? )!
I couldn’t help but notice that the smile on her face was getting bigger and bigger! I couldn’t believe it! I’m sure our ten year old would have balked at cleaning up after breakfast for eight. But this was her day to shine and she took full advantage as step by step she whittled that mountain down to less than a mole hill.
When the table was done she knew the next step was to push it back into its place in the corner and place the chairs around it. Even here, she pushed and strained at the enormous task until my ‘superior’ strength took over and lightened her burden.
Job completed, she happily toddled off to play with her toys that same beautiful smile still on her face! I will never forget that sweet example of joyful service.
I have to ask myself, ‘when was the last time I was willing to serve my family, community or church with such cheerful abandon?’. OR, did I serve under duress, all the while thinking begrudgingly of the cost in time, cash or energy?
Thinking of that tiny moment in my life brings me to this conclusion; I want to be like a child when I am faced with a task that may be just a bit too big for me. My Father in Heaven has promised His help and strength for every occasion. When it seems I’m called on to do the dirty work I want to do the job with a smile on my face, taking it one step at a time if necessary. Have you heard the riddle
‘ How do you eat an elephant?’  The answer is ‘ one bite at a time’. And that’s the only way to handle some situations in our lives. But remember, there is always One who is bigger, stronger and more capable. You can count on Him to come alongside you and get ‘er done!
Colossians 3:23-24 says, ‘Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a
reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.’ ( NIV )
And serving is what I plan to do as I continue on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts