OH, THE PAIN!

It started as a faint, dull aching that just never went away; within days it was like a steady drumbeat in the side of my head! Since I had a dental checkup, x-rays and all just three months ago when I was told all was well, I had never considered the possibility that it could be a tooth problem.
Having just returned from a couple of weeks away, I figured I could wait till after the weekend to see my dentist. But then I began losing pieces of an old filling; the time was now!
I made the appointment and walked in with confidence. The dentist would simply take out the old filling and replace it with a new one; or at least that’s what I thought. Unfortunately that was not how it played out.
After the initial freezing the drilling began. Oh how I detest that high pitched whine!!! A few minutes into the procedure, however, I felt a distinct ‘THUNK’, like an earthquake in my head! The drilling stopped and blessed quiet reigned as the dentist called for a camera. After taking a photo and showing me on the large screen where a crack had appeared clean through the base of my molar, she informed me there was no ‘fix’ for this and the tooth would need to come out. At least it was a molar was my first thought. She then topped up the freezing and proceeded with the extraction. This too was no piece of cake. The end result was that she needed to add more freezing since I could still feel the pain, then came the saw and the tooth needed to be cut into pieces in order to make it removable.
By the time I left the office I was shaking, traumatized and longing for my cozy bed. And it wasn’t entirely because of the bill I had just paid!
We all go through painful times and I know you have too. Sometimes we are tempted to try to live with the pain and trauma, thinking it is easier than dealing with the issues causing our problems. I want to tell you today that in the end it may very well be more difficult to get rid of the offending issue but it will be worth it! Just like  an infection needs to be lanced to allow the poison to drain out, or a bad tooth needs to be removed in order for life to become pain free and pleasant again, sin, hatred or unforgiveness needs to be removed. That process in itself can be difficult and bring its own kind of hurt. However, when it is over true healing can begin without obstruction.
In the Bible Jesus is referred to as the great physician, Mark 2:17, Mathew 9:12. If you read accounts of His life in the gospels you will find Him healing many people of many different kinds of illnesses and declaring their sins forgiven. He has no less power today; if you need healing in any area call on Him. He is not limited in any way but when our faith is engaged He goes to work on our behalf!
My mouth is healing nicely and I am so happy I made the choice to rid myself of that offence. I now can look forward to a pain free ride on the way to the party!


Comments

Popular Posts