TOO SORE TO SOAR

Years ago my late husband and I received an anniversary gift from family; it was a special piece of furniture, an eagle statue with a glass top ideal as an occasional table. Some time later the top of it was broken so I recently had it repaired and it has now reclaimed it’s place of honour in the front entrance! Standing straight and tall waiting to receive my keys, sunglasses etc. he has sort of become my own personal butler.
While I have not personally studied the life habits of eagles I have discovered some very interesting facts about this magnificent bird.
It has been said that when an eagle begins to decline in strength and capability because of age and wear and tear resulting from the rigours of life, it will take action to reverse the negative effects on it’s body.
At this point the bird will hide itself in the clefts of rock high in the mountains. Here he will rejuvenate himself by pulling out old damaged feathers and sharpening his beak by drawing it back and forth against a rock allowing the friction to accomplish this task. He will also sharpen his talons in the same fashion. With a lot of feathers missing ( you can imagine how he looks now! ) he stays put until new ones have grown in. Now he is ready to rejoin life as he knew it. He will again soar above every storm that comes; when hungry he can easily dive into the sea and catch a fish in his newly sharpened talons, tearing it to pieces with a renewed beak. In his twenty to thirty year life span he can again be effective and fulfill his purpose in life!
Now, my question is what do you do when life’s storms get the best of you? Where do you go to renew yourself, bring new purpose back into your life?
Jesus, Himself gives the invitation in Matthew 11:28, ‘Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.’ Right there, that’s a great place to start!
Hundreds of years earlier the prophet Isaiah penned these words, ‘But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.’ Is. 40:31. Kind of looks like Isaiah spent some time observing this majestic creature himself!
Sometimes I feel my own purpose has grown dim and lost it’s sharpness. My ability to soar above is waning.
How wonderful to know that in my own weariness I can go to a higher place and be renewed by my Higher Power, Jesus Christ.
Now I am ready to soar above life’s storms and overcome the negative effects of all that life throws at me. No longer sore I can now soar on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts