GET SET

We are ready, having relieved ourselves of all the ‘stuff’ of life that has accumulated over the years. The pride, anger, resentment, envy; all the old nasty hurts and habits have been left behind. In our wake we may have left a few remnants and residuals that serve as a reminder to keep on track, helping us to avoid the same pitfalls in the future.
Now, when I think of getting set, it’s like planting my tomato plants in spring. As anxious as I am to observe new growth, I realize the need to be patient. It takes time for the plants to establish a root system whereby they will draw nourishment into the stalk, the stems, and leaves. The goodness drawn from the soil will ensure the lovely, luscious fruit that I so love!
In the same vein, while growing up on a farm I would note how my mother would put a hen to ‘set’ in the springtime. With ten to twelve fertilized eggs under her she would patiently sit incubating those precious little fluffs of yellow until they pecked their way out of the egg shell prison they had been in for exactly twenty one days. That’s the time it took to grow those cute little peepers out of nothing; that’s the time it took to give birth to the ‘fruit’.
In our lives we get set by spending time in the word of God. Reading it, memorizing and meditating on the Word are all ways of getting it deep into our spirits. There it can take root or incubate and in time grow the fruits of kindness, faithfulness, love, joy, patience and wisdom. This is not an exhaustive list, but rather just an example of all the good that Father God wants to see displayed in our lives.
As we take in the nourishing Word of God our spirit is fed and the roots go down deeper. As the roots spread out more and more we become more useful to the purpose of the Master.
Meanwhile, during the deepening or ‘getting set’ process we cannot see what is happening. What is going on under the surface, in the dark is finally revealed only as new growth appears and fruit becomes available.
In Galatians 5:22- 23 we find the fruit of the Spirit of Christ listed, ‘love, joy, peace, forbearance (patience), kindness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control’. These are all attributes that we grow into our lives as we allow our roots to go deep and get ‘set’ in the soil of God’s word.
How would your life look if all the hindering weights were shed and the roots of your heart were encouraged to find their life-giving food in things of God? How would my life look?
I am committed to this race called life and as I run, it is a continual process of getting ready and letting go of things that slow me down. It is a daily challenge to allow myself to become more and more grounded in my Lord, Jesus Christ.
I wouldn’t have it any other way as I continue on my way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts