WHAT’S YOUR HANDICAP?

Do you golf? I must be honest and say I do not. However I have heard that question asked in relation to someone’s golf game.
Many years ago when I was much younger and not so wise (sorry avid golfers!) I thought it would be fun to learn the game, so my husband and I went out one Sunday afternoon with friends. Between the three of them I actually learned a few things and made the mistake of thinking ‘This is fun!’ (Again, my apologies.)
About a week later I convinced hubby to go golfing on our regular date night.
Well, as it happened we played the last hole in the dark and after the final count, I realized with some shock that I won! And yes, I do know that the lowest score is the winner.
He never took me golfing again....hmmmm.
In the past three years I have had two major surgeries, the last one being an attempt to repair and reconstruct my right foot after degeneration due to an old injury.
Recently as the lovely summer weather was waving ‘good bye’ and ushering in the cold I began to experience ankle pain again. I cringe now to think how I used to laugh at older people who would attribute joint pain to the weather changes.
One day we decided to make a run to a large mall near us. My husband wisely suggested I make a visit to guest services and pick up a scooter to get around in more comfortably. I was hesitant because I don’t enjoy being viewed as a handicapper. In the end I was happy I did!
As I ‘putted’ my way around the mall, I was intrigued by the various reactions from other shoppers.
Some gave me ‘The Look’, like ‘Why don’t you just stay at home where you belong?’ Others were a little more pitying, clearing a path for me as I went by.
Then there were those, God bless them, who were helpful, not to the point of treating me like a helpless invalid, but sensitive to my needs. For instance, getting in close enough to the check-out counter, sometimes a challenge. Or kindly carrying my latte to the table and making sure the chairs are moved so the scooter would fit.
God’s Word has a lot to say about all human life, no matter the shape it comes in.
Read Psalm 139 and see that you were on God’s mind long before you were born. In fact He wrote a book about you way back then!
How about Mat.6:26 and again Mat 10:31 where Jesus assures us that we are of infinite value and worth every bit of His care and attention. Jeremiah 29:11 states that God actually has and knows the plans He has for me; plans for hope and a future!
My challenge now is to see all my fellow humans as God does; significant, important and of great value, made in His image. He makes no distinction and He sees no handicap. He takes each one of us as we are and gently remolds and rebuilds us to fit His plan, if we allow Him to.
The closer I come to the end of my journey the more aware I am of all God’s creation. If I’m walking,  pushing a walker or riding a scooter I will choose to be sensitive to all I share the road with on the way to the party.

Comments

Popular Posts