I Need an Rest

As we approach Christmas and the busyness it brings, we look at the season in one of several ways. It depends so much on our basic personality type, where we are in our life and on the circumstance we find ourselves in at the moment.
When our children were young, I looked forward to going out to one activity or another every night for the two weeks preceeding Christmas Day. With four little ones, we were ensured plenty of things to do during this time. Of course there was the big kick-off with tree decorating night, ending up sampling the first bit of Christmas baking! There were school concerts, church concerts and of course the rehearsals in preparation. Choir concerts with siblings’ participation had to be attended and there was always a date with Santa at the mall (until the kids decided they were too old for that ‘ baby stuff’)!
One of my favourite activities was taking an evening to drive around and view all the beautiful decorations on others’ yards, stashing away a few ideas to incorporate next year.
I remember one particular time we drove clear across the city to take the kids on a train ride. A home owner had set it up for the purpose of having families come and sit in the open on his mini train cars. So there we sat freezing our butts, fingers and toes as we rode along enjoying a lovely view of the woods around the acreage, fully decorated and lit up; it must have been about -25-30 degrees out there! A bit of a fun spoiler, but we did it and the hot cocoa at the end was much appreciated!
Well, these days I prefer to keep my recliner from drifting off the floor, enjoying the warmth of my fire as I read and listen to inspirational Christmas music, or simply watching a Christmas movie. After a busy day of whatever needs to be done I like to reflect and remember what Christmas is really all about. Don’t get me wrong, I love all the trappings but I love the reason for the season more! I even love the work of getting prepared, doing whatever needs to be done to make it a fun, successful time with family and friends. When the day’s work is done I relax and think about my great nephew many years ago. It seems he was intensely involved in a board game with older members of his family. Suddenly he had had enough and in his four year old wisdom declared, “Few! I need an rest!” If only we, as adults, were that tuned in. Enough is enough, then it is time for ‘an rest’. I’ve got just the place for you; Jesus says in Matthew 11:28 ‘Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest! (NIV).
So in the midst of your busyness, whatever that looks like, take a few moments of quietness. Take a deep breath and remember that a little time of rest and relaxation will actually sprinkle a little more fun and excitement into your Christmas season! It will also give you the renewed energy you need to continue on your way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts