The New vs The Old

Less than a year ago I was hospitalized for a left knee replacement surgery. Having been told that it would be a painful recovery and slower than usual because of issues in my right foot and ankle, I thought I was prepared. Well, words cannot describe! However, as healing progressed, and with the help of physio therapy, function began to return to my left leg. It had been so stiff and painful for so long before, that after the initial pain of surgery I began to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hope drove me to continue pursuing my exercises at home. A few months after the procedure we made a trip to Winnipeg, Manitoba to visit family.
My three grandsons, of course, were excited to see Grandma and Grandpa. The youngest, five year old Zeus, came up to me and hesitantly asked if he could see my knee. I proceeded to show him the incision line and on his level explain what the doctor had done. He was rather enthralled with the thought that there were new ‘parts’ in there, made of plastic and steel. He then asked if he could feel my knee, to which I replied “Of course”! Gently running his hand up and down and across, circling around, he looked up puzzled and stated, “Grandma, I can’t feel any robot parts.”
Yes I know, that’s kind of cute and funny! I promise you I know there are new parts in there; I can feel the difference, both in the abcense of pain and the increased function.
Continuing in last week’s vein let’s look at 1 Corinthians 5:17. Here, God’s Word gives the promise that “if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.”
You wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and gasp! The hair is still standing out in every which direction, your ears are no smaller than before and the zit on your chin looks like it had steroids for a snack the night before. We won’t mention the number on the bathroom scale! Okay, I think we all know the verse is referring to becoming a new person on the inside. In no way does this mean that we will automatically be different. It does mean that the new ‘parts’ or potential is there, thanks to a supernatural transplant that God alone can accomplish through His son, Jesus Christ. As we spend time in the presence of the Master physio therapist, and under His instruction and encouragement exercise the necessary changes, we get past that most painful phase and grow the difference in our thoughts, goals and actions. Life becomes new and different!
How exciting to take a brief glance behind us and see where we have been, so that we can be truly thankful to God for where He has brought us to!
Adventure, change and challenges lie ahead as we continue on our way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts