Throw That Stone!

We were standing on the shore of the mighty Atlantic Ocean. Off in the distance we could see several whales emitting their water spouts high in the air. Standing there gazing across the water I drew in a deep breath, savouring the moist, salt-scented air.
I had travelled to Newfoundland with my daughter and son-in-law. After the recent passing of my husband it was good to feel needed again. It seemed that taking this trip with three little boys aged five, three and three weeks definitely left me feeling needed. Tiny Fogo Island was a beautiful relaxing place to spend a few weeks. Here I could focus on healing just a little more, and spend quality time with family. Suddenly out of the silence came the voice of three year old Rambo,
“Can I frow a stone in du river?” Like any of us the attraction was in viewing the ever-widening circles left on the surface of the water as the stone sank to the bottom. I’m sure his three year old brain was imagining the amazing ripple effect, while not quite registering the fact that a stone thrown “in du river” would make a lasting impact, forever changing the ocean.
Every stone thrown in the ocean by an innocent, unsuspecting little boy makes a difference!
Let’s think about that for a moment. Every unkind word or thoughtless deed that emanates from me makes a difference in someone’s life. On the other hand, every positive act  of kindness or encouraging word ALSO changes the life of the person touched by it.
This leaves me with a choice; do that one little thing to bring help and healing, extend that forgiveness, give that smile of encouragement in passing? Or vent my feelings knowing that only hurt can result from it; withhold a caring attitude and heartfelt praise when someone needs the little ‘pick me up’?
Jesus, in the sermon on the mount, challenged His followers to be salt and light in this world. It seems to follow, then, that if we claim to be His children it should be evident in the way we carry ourselves and live out our lives. In a world so challenged by the bland, non-caring attitudes of many, and the darkness of evil directed too often at the most innocent I say the choice to make is a no brainer!
Let’s choose to put some flavour and light into our lives and the lives of those around us; it will provide us joy and direction on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts