Black Squirrel, the Squeakuel

I did love watching my frisky little squirrel friends through the kitchen window. My daughter even dubbed the habit, “Mom’s reality show”. Seriously, it beats anything I ever saw on TV. I even imagined that we were starting to establish a bit of a relationship. Okay, don’t go writing Dr. Phil about that!
Fall was in full swing, the snow would soon be here to stay. One day my hubby went to the back of the house and they didn’t even go rushing off as they usually did. They were becoming familiar and maybe just a little desperate to pack in a little more food for winter.
Well, this time our local maintenance man was with him and when my husband pointed out that I had been feeding the little critters all summer, Ross, from maintenance explained how destructive squirrels are and how they are prone to chew the coating off of electrical wires. Thinking of the possible consequences, Larry then signed an ‘executive order’ to have the feeder removed!
Needless to say I was saddened by this but at the same time I understood. They don’t come around anymore, they never call or write, I can’t find them on Facebook; they obviously don’t really care about me! Now I’m beginning to realize that those cute little suckers are a lot like some people I’ve known. All because I don’t feed them anymore.
How sad. I pray that I will never be that little rodent that simply takes advantage of others’ kindness, then takes off and ignores them when the handouts stop coming. I want my relationships to go deeper than that and I want to be friends to the end. I read in the Bible, Prverbs 17:17 “A friend loves at all times and a brother is born for the time of adversity”. I commit myself to being there for my friends especially in the hard times, so we can arrive at the party together!

Comments

Popular Posts