Summer of the Squirrel

Today as I gaze longingly out of my kitchen window my eyes see snow, snow and more snow. Some packed down tightly into icy ridges, some drifted into white waves against the tree trunks and a whole lot more shoved into large, dirty, chunky piles along the walking path that runs along the back of our home. Yep, my eyes see snow; my mind, on the other hand, sees dry pavement cul de sac, dry concrete walk, and a lovely carpet of velvety green grass, generously dotted with trees of all types and sizes! Just beyond the fence I observe two little, black balls of fluff romping cheerfully from tree to tree, up one, down another and away out of sight. I sigh and return to my tasks knowing they will be back after the break!
Shortly after settling into our ‘new’ home early last summer I noticed her for the first time. I glanced out of my kitchen window and there she was, creeping slowly and carefully along the top of the fence. When she reached the bird feeder hanging just above her head, she hesitantly stretched her head upwards but, alas! Her face didn’t fit into the tiny dispenser. I felt her desperation and deep disappointment as she tucked in her tail and dejectedly crawled down the chain link fence. I promptly made a quick trip to Walmart to purchase a bag of ‘proper’ squirrel food. Again, I felt for her when she climbed the fence and found an inverted frisbee full of treats just for her! This time her tiny black face and bright little eyes noticeably radiated joy and anticipation! She was large and chubby, with scruffy, black fur. It wasn’t until a few months later when a smaller, smoother version showed up and I realized there was a good reason for her chubby form.
As fall approached I kept re-filling the feeder and my guests kept coming, stuffing their cheeks and hiding their treasures! Then one day I looked out and for the first time saw a large, grey squirrel on the fence. He struck a pretty pose momentarily, then took off like lightning as a streak of black rushed in from nowhere!
Oh my! There’s lots of food, you can share. Don’t be such a bully!
I was instantly reminded of how some people react when we come close to realizing our dream. For some reason they feel compelled to point out all the negatives, all the reasons why you shouldn’t move ahead and claim your prize. And for what? Envy? Self-righteousness? Maybe a need to build themselves up by putting others down? Whatever the reason, don’t let anyone chase you away from fulfilling the vision God has put on your heart!
Is there a ‘black squirrel’ in your life? Maybe several? Guess what, they don’t count. Keep your eyes on the prize and keep building the dream!
This is just a little something I learned on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts