Forty Years...and I can only Imagine!

My Mom! Forty years ago she was promoted into the presence of Jesus. I still miss her! Sometimes I stop and think about her and how she delighted in her grandchildren. She anticipated the coming of new babies with utmost joy. After they arrived she would often spend  days or weeks helping out so the young family could get back on their feet, literally. She looked forward to the married kids’ visits, knowing they would bring the little ones, and in preparation for that time kept herself busy baking special treats or sewing up some little thing that would delight the heart of any little girl and her doll!
One little guy especially loved Grandma’s ‘porridge cookies’ and there was always a generous supply of those. I honestly have no idea how she did it all with so many of us still at home; I’m the youngest of thirteen! I suppose that’s why she never seemed to take that much delight in her own children, she was too busy taking care of us. Even then I never doubted her love for all of us. I remember her as a very hard worker, putting in long hours every day, often to her own hurt. There wasn’t much time or energy for her to exhibit a bubbling enjoyment in motherhood.
I remember times when patience was thin and I heard sharp words, like swords flying from her mouth. This, usually, in the face of snarky, teenage comments coming from me or my brothers. Through it all I always knew I was loved by her. She was wheel chair-ridden by the time I got married as a young adult. I felt a deep loss for all the things we couldn’t do and enjoy together in that season of my life. Then when my first baby was born I missed her physical presence incredibly. When we visited with the new baby she never failed to show a special interest in him and all his care. I am so thankful to God that she was still there to offer some much appreciated advice and encouragement! As long as she lived she was there when I needed her wisdom and guidance. As a child it was enough at times just to quietly crawl alongside each other in the dirt as we weeded the garden together.
Today when I think of her I can still see her sitting in the living room in her favourite chair. In her aproned lap lies an open Bible and her head is bowed in prayer. Seeing her like that made me feel safe, knowing that she was praying for her children and grandchildren. How do I know? I can still feel the strength of those prayers and I see the effects in the lives of my children and grandchildren. It  inspires and challenges me to add my prayers to hers and make an even greater difference in the lives of my offspring.
In being a Godly mom she ‘threw a stone in the river’ and the ripples of her influence are still being seen and felt today. My mom was not perfect but she was perfect for me!
So it’s not Mother’s Day; we all can and should give tribute to our moms any and every day of the year. It seems a good time to do that as I remember the day she arrived at the party forty years ago!
As for me, I’m still on the way to the party.

Comments

Popular Posts