🎵 On The Road Again 🎶 ( Still )

So there we are driving east about 45 minutes away from home. I was very excited about seeing my daughters, son-in-law and grandsons in Winnipeg. Then the thought hit me, I was also very much looking forward to doing some book signings and promotional meetings in Manitoba. Oh NO! I turned to my husband and in total shock said, “Honey, we have to turn around and go back home”.
I don’t think he believed me and probably thought I was pulling an April Fool’s joke on him. (I’ve been known to do that!) He did find a place to turn around on the busy highway and nearly two hours later found us back at the same spot, heading east, this time with extra boxes of books in the back of the car! I always carry a few in a tote bag but that would not have been enough for what I was attempting to do.
You always hear the talk about getting older and starting to forget some things from time to time. I’m not convinced it’s age as much as brain overload and failure to properly manage it. Whatever it is I thank God for a sweet husband who just calmly turned the car around and headed back to do what had to be done!
All this time I was thinking “Well, God has a bad memory too, so I’m in good company!
When I confess my sins to God, my Bible tells me that He casts them into the sea (Micah 7:19), or He removes them from me, as far as the east is from the west ( Psalm 103:12 ). That’s kind of far! It goes so far as to say in Hebrews 8:12, “...their sins and their lawless deeds I will  REMEMBER NO MORE!” Okay, so probably this refers to the fact that, after we have confessed our sins  and repented, or changed direction, God will no longer hold our sins against us. Through Jesus’ death on the cross they were paid for and we have opportunity to be redeemed, or bought back by God if we so choose.
In any case, I have made that choice and now am definitely in good company!
The rest of the trip has been fun, enjoyable and enlightening as I have been meeting up with old friends, watching my grandsons grow up and achieve new heights on a daily basis. Oh, and of course, having a few hugs and cuddles thrown in here and there doesn’t hurt.
I have certainly enjoyed doing the book promotional. Besides being able to sell my books, there’s always the expectaion that someone will be encouraged and more hopeful after hearing me speak or  reading one of my books.
A few days ago as I was driving west on Regent Avenue, on what I hoped would be a quick little shopping trip, I ran into a snag. After being stopped at a train crossing the lights continued to blink their warnings and the safety arms remained down long after the train had passed through. As I waited and waited and the line behind me got longer and longer, it became apparent that there was a major malfunction. I was trapped in traffic, but being on the inside lane seriously considered driving over the curb, across the median and down the other curb. I decided it wasn’t worth the risk to my vehicle so I just waited. After about fifteen minutes ( that felt like hours!) some young men from cars behind me jumped out of their vehicles and ran up to the crossing. Shortly after, the line of cars started to move and I realized what had happened. As I crossed the tracks, there they were, standing on either side of the lanes physically holding up the arms! I thought of the story in the Bible where Moses found it necessary to hold out his arms toward his people as they fought a battle against the enemy. As long as he held out his arms they prevailed. However, when his arms got tired they fell behind. Other men then came alongside him and held up his arms for him. Needless to say, the enemy was trounced!
Maybe there’s someone today who can use your strength to ‘hold up their arms’. I have been challenged in my own life lately to keep my eyes and heart wide open because they are out there, just waiting and needing a little boost from me. Maybe from you too?
In three days I will be home, rejoining my dear husband as together we continue on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts