The Long Winding Road Trip

After months of planning and preparing for this I am finally here! Of course, my first priority in planning a trip that crosses two provinces is to visit my kids and grandchildren. The second reason I would do this is to present my books which have both been published within the past two years.
This trip, though, I have arranged to meet up with old friends as well, touching base and getting caught up. A few days ago, for instance, I had dinner with a friend I met almost 60 years  ago. Whew! I had no idea that would make me sound SO old!
After arriving at my daughter’s house and indulging myself in grandson hugs for several days I dropped my husband at the airport to catch his flight home and took off across country to play ‘catch-up’. My first road trip adventure involved having to call CAA to please kindly unlock my car so I can get at my keys and hopefully gain access to my luggage!
No trip is ever complete without getting lost, despite very clear directions. Because it was a rural address I didn’t use the GPS; actually because I really don’t like her, she’s competition. It seems she’s always vying for my hubby’s attention when we’re out driving. Poor guy, with two women constantly telling him where to go it’s amazing he’s still got all his wits about him!
My next stop was a delightful little town, where an old friend from high school resides. She and her husband host a weekly Bible study in their home, with quite a turnout I might add. Here I had the opportunity to speak, hopefully some words of encouragement and hope to people, all of which are going through the ‘stuff’ of life.
After I was done speaking my friend, Lois, served refreshments and we all had a chance just to chat. As I was in the midst of an intense conversation suddenly my cup of coffee developed a mind of its own and ended up...you guessed it...all over me! After the first few stunned seconds laughter erupted and all were in agreement that they would not soon forget the guest speaker who got so excited she ‘wet herself’!
And today a three hour drive brought me back to loving little boy hugs! Oh, yes and one big boy hug from the one that’s not so little any more! Ahhh! There’s nothing like it.
Yes, life is an exciting journey, but it’s not the end of the road. We have yet to arrive, we’re still on the way to the party!

Comments

  1. Love your stories and look forward to reading each new one. They are very uplifting ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts