Stone Soup...for the Soul

Years ago when my children were little we had the children’s classic ‘Stone Soup’ in our home. The last time I remember seeing it, the pages were falling out and the hard cover looked rather beat up! Needless to say it had been read a few times.
The story is about two cute, chubby little pigs that were travelling down the road. They began to get hungry so , arriving at a village they tried to find food but, alas, no one would share. They hatched the most brilliant idea! They got a huge pot, filled it with water and threw in some stones. They began to stir the pot and when anyone came by they made a big deal of how delicious the soup would be. As villagers came to check it out the little pigs commented on how it would be so much better if they could only have some onions or carrots or meat etc. Bit by bit the people returned with all the ingredients needed to create a delicious pot of soup and in the end everyone was well fed, including the hungry, little pigs!
Lately I’ve been thinking of that book; why? you ask. I have been working with my cousin to plan a family reunion for this coming summer. Just when we had contacted all the people we could think of, we thought of more, so out went another email; after that we thought of more and so on. Now I think we may have exhausted the potential!
We are all from the same family and yet no two of us look the same, dress the same or act the same. We come in a boundless variety of flavours! We each add something of value to the ‘pot’. The soup would be somewhat bland without an onion or salt, and the family would not be the same without ‘Billy’ or ‘Joe’.
So as I look forward to meeting all my cousins that I haven’t seen for a long time and those I may have met at one time but can’t remember, I also anticipate a few differences of opinion, a few lively discussions and some zesty comments!
Yes, we all come from the same garden, but different rows. We all have roots but show a little differently. In the end love, acceptance and forgiveness reign when we can’t seem to agree with everything and everyone.
I don’t know about you but I plan to enjoy the ‘soup’ created by my family, immediate, extended, in-laws and steps. I will enjoy the delicious aroma and the nutrition it brings to my soul as I travel on, heading toward the party!

Comments

Popular Posts