Time to Deadhead

So today we are still on the winding path through the flower garden; as much as I love the large colourful blooms and the sweet aroma floating subtly on the breeze I dislike the chore of pulling off the spent blossoms. It is time consuming and it smacks of dealing with something lifeless, useless and smelly. Better times have been had!
Every time I read advice on gardening or watch a video that I hope will help broaden my knowledge and produce a prettier sight I cannot escape it. They all stress the importance of discarding the dead flowers in order to make room for new growth. This reminds me of a scripture verse, Colossians 3:5-10.  Ephesians 4:22-24, Eph. 4:31, 1 Peter 2:1 also speaks of getting rid of old habits and behaviours. Why is this so important for a child of God? I don’t consider myself a theologian, but my heart immediately tells me that things like anger, envy, resentment, hatred, lying or gossip have no place in my life if I desire to see love, forgiveness, joy and compassion bloom.
It is no secret that people are drawn to the sweetness of Jesus and the power of a living God in my life rather than the stinky old works of the enemy of God and His children!
My mind goes quickly to all the useless, life-sucking tendencies exhibited in my life. Indeed, it is time to cut these off ( the Bible talks about ‘putting off’ ) and allow the life to flow into more positive, productive pursuits.
When I actually make the effort to get out there and pull off the withered blooms, it is amazing how fast those areas fill up with new flowers and the pots and shrubs continue to look beautifully appealing throughout the entire summer!
Can you see yourself there? Take a moment to reflect and meditate. Read the scriptures listed above and see what that might look like in your life...
I know that I want people I meet to look at me and be drawn, not to me but to the God who made me to bear His beauty and character in this life. I want to bring goodness and light to a world that is hurting and in order to do that there are no options but to let go of all the dead weights that hinder me, and allow the new growth to take place.
This will keep me busy along the path as I continue on to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts