Look Who’s Driving!

Wasn’t it just last week I took him out for lunch? And I watched with amusement as he meticulously broke his French fries in little pieces and dropped them over the side of his high chair? Even back then his sense of adventure and fun was greater than his appetite! After ‘eating’ our lunch I took him back to our house where I set him on the floor and gave him freedom to just roam for a while. As an inquisitive one year old he was happy to oblige. Minutes later I heard a quiet, fretful whimpering; I followed the sound and....couldn’t find a thing! I kept silent for a moment and realized the soft, panicked sounds were emanating from behind the couch. Set merely inches from the wall, it left a gap  just wide enough for an average size one year old to crawl in ( we realized later he was chasing a ball that went astray ); once in he was trapped! He had not yet mastered the art of backing up and there was no room to turn around! 
My Grandma heart was a little saddened to imagine his fear of being trapped there and yet had to chuckle as Grandpa and I proceeded to move the couch and free our little scamp!
As a grandparent I have always tried to imagine how my grandchildren will fare as they grow up in this world; sometimes a scary thought. If I didn’t know that I can trust them to a higher authority I don’t know how I would survive their growing years. I know the One whose eye is on them at all times, and who will keep them in His care even when parents and grandparents can’t. My heart is ready to explode with love and pride as I watch them take one step after another towards mature adulthood!
Take this morning for instance; I just arrived yesterday for a short visit and hadn’t seen these kids for six months and the changes are amazing!
We went on an errand earlier today and I watched in awe as my oldest grandson got behind the wheel for the drive home. Way to go, Zac! He did a super job, right down to backing out of the parking spot ( he’s got that down pat! ), shoulder checking, signalling....the whole works.
My first thought was ‘When did this happen???’ They move away, I blink and here we are!
I think that maybe God looks at His kids with the same kind of love and pride; emitting the same expressions of encouragement causing us to grow and expand our abilities with confidence. And one day we are given the ‘wheel’. Quite probably we will not do it all perfectly but with practise we get better at doing the adult thing and making mature decisions.
As we go through life let’s remember to consider that many on this road will still be in the practise stage. They may not have a capital ‘L’ ( Learner, not Loser! ) stuck on their backs but we can see the struggle. Therefore, people, a little compassion and patience goes a long way!
If that is too difficult, think of everyone as one of your own family members; makes a difference doesn’t it?
Let’s keep that in mind as we go down the road on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts