On a Pedestal

Oops! I blew it! I fell off....
Has this ever happened to you? A year ago after moving to our current location, I found the space lacking for my short, white Grecian pillar that I used to use in my living room as a plant stand. I decided it would look just as beautiful outside with a trailing, flowering plant on it. I was right. It was gorgeous, giving a refreshing, brightly coloured break to the backdrop of grey railings.
Shortly after setting it up the winds came, something I had not anticipated. I’m not sure why since Calgary is known for its sudden weather changes as well as the winds that howl their way through the city.
I awoke in the morning and stepped out to survey my colourful kingdom. To my utter dismay the lovely potted plant had toppled to the ground! Lifting it and placing it back on it’s pedestal, I noticed that many of the tiny stems were broken and ragged looking, and several of the pretty blooms were broken off. Not only that, a couple handfuls of potting soil had been lost in the grass.
I was saddened to see the destruction of what had been such a tale of beauty the day before.
Have you ever found yourself on a pedestal not of your own making? It’s a scary place to be, isn’t it?
I’m sure we’ve all been there at one time or another. For myself, I think probably I was up there in all of my childrens’ minds, at least until the age of three or so!
I do know there was a time a wind came along and I toppled; it hurt and it was humiliating. I would much rather be on the same level as others, and feel stable and secure.
In all fairness, I certainly don’t try to put myself on a pedestal and anyone else who is deluded enough to place me there deserves to feel like a schmuk when I do the proverbial face plant!
In my life I try hard not to deify people; we are all human and prone to fall and fail. The first two of the Ten Commandments warn us not to have any god but the one true God and I believe if we commit to that alone we will save ourselves a lot of heartache.
I’m not sure about you, but I’m heading towards the party with both my feet on solid ground!

Comments

Popular Posts