Just Like Daddy

We all have at least one; some are good and kind and wonderful, others not so much. Some create memories that leave us with the warm fuzzies, while if I’m going to be honest, others leave us cold with the shakes and shivers.
Yes, I speak of fathers. At some point every little boy wants to be like him and every little girl wants to belong to him.
I’m reminded of a time ten years ago when I travelled to another province to be on hand for the birth of my baby grandson. My daughter already had a two year old and we quite enjoyed the show this little guy put on for us from time to time! When there was talk of us going somewhere, be it grocery shopping, a trip to the beach or simply a walk to the local playground, he would immediately jump into action. We laughed as we watched him run all over the house, looking under chairs and couch, opening drawers and rummaging in the toy box. All the while he was chattering, ‘My pone, my teyth, my pone my teyth!’
For those of you not accustomed to toddler-speak I will translate, ‘my phone, my keys, my phone, my keys!’
The reason we found it so funny was because at least once a day we watched the older version aka ‘Daddy’ doing the same thing! Max had inherited his dad’s old cellphone and a key ring with various random keys attached, and those had become his favourite toys. Of course daddy couldn’t leave the house without these basic necessities, therefore, neither could Max.
As cute as it was, it drove home the point that we want and need someone to emulate. There is something inside of us that desires to be ‘just like daddy’!
We read in the Bible in 1 John 3:2 ‘Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.’
I hang onto this promise as I walk this journey called life. Those days when nothing goes right, when everything seems to line up against me; the times when sadness settles in and seems in no hurry to leave, I hang on with a soul-sustaining grip. Those days I KNOW that one day I will see Him and I will be like Him, all strength no weakness, all love no insecurities!
As I travel this path I must remember to take my ‘pone and my teyth’ because I never know when I might need them on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts