After The Storm

Have you ever stood by an open window just breathing deeply of the fresh rain-scented air after a summer rain storm? If not, it should be on your bucket list....
Just this evening, for instance, I was standing at my kitchen sink finishing up the supper dishes. The window in front of me was open and after a couple of days of incessant heat the cool, fresh breeze nearly caused me to swoon! It had been raining off and on all day and it had brought a good measure of relief. Now the fresh air felt as good as it smelled!
It brought to mind another summer eight years ago when there was no relief from the storm. We were battered day after day; the black clouds hanging low against a backdrop of gun-metal grey.
No sooner did the heavy, dark blankets of cloud begin to move off and more rolled in, heavier and more ominous than the ones before.
No, I’m not talking about the kind that shed their moisture and move on. Rather, I am referring to the emotional state of mind our family experienced during that season of our lives. My husband was extremely ill and the prognosis was not good. Every day was like a roller coaster ride, now hearing a promising report and two hours later having our hopes dashed, AGAIN!
The one constant was our faith in a living God, who was walking through the storm with us, and who would eventually bring back the sunshine after the rain.
 When after some time my husband graduated to his eternal home the thunder and lightning shattered the peace again, for a time. I wondered if I would ever experience joy again and I seriously doubted it. But then my mind and heart began to focus, by choice, on the promise of an omnipresent God, who said He would never leave me. He promised to walk by my side through the valley of the shadow of death according to Psalm 23. I found that the more captivated I was by the promises of God the less I focussed on my sadness and loneliness. Life began to look brighter and fresher as the days went on.
Joy and peace returned; the big storm was over and a fresh breeze brought the relief I had so been longing for!
Now as I move along in my journey, storms still threaten to overtake from time to time, but I face them with the assurance that they will not stick around for long and they most certainly will not control my life.
The sun will shine again after the storm and I will just continue on my way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts