Through the Smoke

I’ve got to do it; I can’t stop myself, it’s like an addiction! Yes, I confess I love watching sunsets! Even if I can just catch the slightest glimpse. I have lived in many different locations and seen the most beautiful, breathtaking sunsets from every angle imaginable and yet each time is like the witnessing of a visual miracle, new and fresh!
In the last couple of weeks I have had mixed feelings about it, though. I look toward the west and the haze and smoke creates a unique glow as the sun begins to sink as if with the heaviness of the air. It carries a beauty of sorts and yet reflecting the heartache and hopelessness that so many are right now experiencing. 
So much loss and destruction happening to the west and south of us, and yet we go on as if all was right with the world. Until it touches us personally. I thank my God that we are not in imminent danger and yet things could shift so quickly and unexpectedly. In the meantime I give thanks that we are safe and pray a prayer of protection for those in the path of the raging flames and those who are desperately fighting to assuage them.
Tonight again, I observed as the sun sank lower and lower to the horizon. As it descended into the hovering smoke covering the earth, the colour intensified until it was a bright red orb, like one giant tail light in the sky. If it weren’t for the smoke cover the bright ball in the sky would not adopt that clear, red hue with the distinctly sharp edges. Almost speechless, it hit me; God’s love is like that. It shines on us all the time, we take it for granted.  Good things happen and we go on our merry way. Bad things happen and we blame God. Still He showers us with rays of love. Challenges and difficulties come and the more they seem to settle down on us, the more intensely we sense His love, focused directly on us. Certainly we can see that instead of being eclipsed by our hardships, we see His goodness and faithfulness so much more clearly.
The night may fall but we know that as we sit in darkness His love it shining on someone else and we will, come morning experience the warmth of His love in our lives again.
My dear friend, God’s Word tells us, ‘Weeping May endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.’
This is not a suggestion or a cliche, it is a PROMISE; one that I cling to as I continue on the way to the party

Comments

Popular Posts