And Along Came Work...

Do you ever get the feeling you would like just a teeny bit of spice added to your life? I can honestly say that throughout my adult life there have been countless times when life was going so well, I felt I had it all; a loving husband, great kids, awesome friendships, a church family and involvement that I found absolutely fulfilling and so much more. Yet there would be this underlying tug towards ‘something’ that would put a little extra zing! in my life. I wasn’t bored and I always felt I had the best life had to offer.
Moving through life I eventually discovered that this impression would assail me just before a bend in the road! For example, a certain emptiness was pushing at me when suddenly we found ourselves in a place where we were able to be of assistance to people who were trying desperately to escape a local communal cult. Although there were many ups and downs as well as bumps in the road, there was a deep, unfettered joy and fulfillment in knowing we were available to someone reaching out for help.
Then there was the time we got asked if we would be interested in taking in a foreign exchange student for the school year. We agreed, she came and we spent the first month struggling to communicate, since she knew very little English and we, much less French! The rewards of that year far outweighed the challenges and we put her on the plane ten months later with breaking hearts as we bid our ‘daughter’ farewell and “all the best”!
So here I am again, much water having flowed under the bridge. For the past four years I have been enjoying a new phase of life, my family having more than doubled a few years back. A couple of moves and a new community and church to adapt to. And in, it creeps.... For a few years now, having struggled with some health issues and ensuing surgeries, I truly felt my ‘working’ days were over. Then out of the blue an opportunity was practically dumped in my lap and I knew instantly, this is it; and it’s perfectly fit for me!
The job is temporary, lasting two weeks, but with the option that it may be offered several times a year. Only three hours a day, I think I can handle that, and the people I work with are amazing, both the supervisors and my co-workers. Basically, if you can count and know how to hold a pencil correctly you can handle the work. It gets me out and about in the morning, puts me in a place where I have to be awake, alert and accurate, thereby just enough challenge without being overwhelming and stressful. Perfect for this lady, I say!
I have learned in life that when I’m walking along enjoying my relationship with my Creator God, there may be times when this restlessness hits. As I submit to the Lord of my life, He has always led me down a new path that leads to complete happiness and fulfilling joy. My prayer is that as I walk along I will be able to help others along this path, bring a touch of love and comfort when needed, an encouraging smile or a wee word of wisdom!
That’s all I ask as I continue on my way to the party.

Comments

Popular Posts