Grow Up Already!

Has anyone ever told you to ‘grow up’? Come on, be honest...I know I’ve said that to my kids a time or two, and they did!
Somehow things just magically change; as a child, if someone would ask me how old I was, I would stand as tall as I could (which wasn’t that much since as an adult I never reached more than five feet two and a half inches ) and proudly declare my age. ‘Six and a half’ or ‘Seven and three quarters’ etc.
Now as a ‘mature’ adult I will reply, even if my sixty sixth birthday is tomorrow, (gulp) ‘Sixty five’.
Ok, smarty pants, so where is the seven sixteenth or whatever, now?
My heart still smiles as I remember a trip I took to the beautiful province of Newfoundland seven years ago. I had recently lost my husband and my daughter invited me to join them in Manitoba for the summer since they were expecting a new baby and could use the moral support as well as a few extra hands. During my stay we flew to my son-in-law’s home province to attend his sister’s wedding as well as show off the new grandson!
On the first leg of our flight my little grandson, Max, barely five at the time excitedly announced, ‘This is my first plane ride while I’m big!’ Of course we understood that he meant he knew he had been before but simply had no memory of it.
But oh, how we long to grow up so fast and yet there are so many things that we don’t particularly like about being grown up; responsibility, accountability, bills, practicing self- control, etc. Now, that last one is truly a hurdle for me. And I seem to trip on it every time I make a run for it!
I have recently become part of a group that is helping me to take a real, honest look at ME and understand some of my issues and hopefully thereby improve my ability to see the truth and kick denial to the curb. No, it’s not everyone else who has problems; I have them too!
The God who made me and wrote the book about my life, according to Psalm 139, also has a purpose and plan for me, Jeremiah 29:11. He has even prepared all the good works that He has purposed me for, Eph. 2:10, therefore I have no excuse. God’s desire for me is that I ‘grow up’ and fulfill the task before me to bring glory to Him and no other. And for this He gives me new mercies and opportunities everyday, and forgives my sins and failures of the day before. Knowing this I look forward to continue growing and maturing on my way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts