Just Exchange it!

There I sat, Sunday morning and I was dressed in my prettiest dress, my hair all kinked up from having been done up in paper curls the night before. Everyone else was rushing around doing their last minute prep before piling into the old Ford and heading out to church. No one really had a moment for little ol’ me but then the brain of a four year old is rarely out of great ideas!
Then it hit me! Why not go next door and play with Lisa while I waited? Not only was she my dad’s boss’s daughter but also my best friend and sometimes partner in crime!
I left the house quietly and made my way to the house next door. Knocking on the screen door, I waited a long time, must have been all of one and a half minutes. No answer so I tried the door and it was unlocked, sooo I entered the porch and proceeded to knock on the inside door. In the meantime my eyes laid on the boxes of freshly picked peas sitting on the bench. I decided to change course slightly and grabbed a handful before making a quick exit.
Back at home I sat on the steps and began enjoying my new-found treat; that is until my dad came out to start the car. He very quickly got to the bottom of it and I simply could not lie. The truth came tumbling out and one very unhappy little girl was marched right back to the neighbour’s, where the lady of the house actually answered the door much to my disappointment, and a heartfelt apology was given.
What happened next I have never forgotten since it has been re-played and reinforced in many different scenarios throughout the more than six decades since. When I handed her the little handful of peas, half of which were mouldy anyway, she excused herself for a moment. She returned with a small container of fresh raspberries and a smile, telling me how much she appreciated my honesty and the return of the peas!
Actually that very same thing has happened to me many times in my life. Oh no, I no longer go around stealing peas from people’s porches. But there have been times when I felt stuck with something that was not so pleasant to have to deal with. Habits have been developed, you know, those pesky little things that can cause havoc in your relationships, work life, etc.
I have learned that there is Someone I can go to, hand Him my smelly attitudes, resentments, and hurt feelings. When I give them to Jesus He gives me something else in return. I can imagine Him smiling as He pours His love, joy and peace out on me. No matter what my day has been like, when I stand before my God all broken up and in pain I know that the hurt stops here because His strength is enough for me and He freely gives me all the good He has promised if I will only free my hands of the stuff that brings me only pain and make room to hold onto all the wonderful things He has waiting for me. Fulfillment in life, purpose and direction are mine and with my ‘container’ full of goodies I go along on my way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts