Keep Right On Walking!

Have you ever just watched someone walk? Each of us has our own peculiar, unique way of walking; so much more than just putting one foot in front of the other to get from point A to B.
This past week I’ve had the privilege of picking my three grandsons up from their school. I always enjoy this experience when visiting; being the first one in the family to get that first hand report on who ran faster than his buddy at recess, who had the most sensible explanation for that all important question, ‘does the wind blowing make the trees move, or does the tree’s moving cause the wind to blow?’ Then there’s the big one, ‘Why are some kids allergic to peanut butter and others aren’t?’
Ah! There’s nothing like after school discussion while riding in a car and no one can escape while Grandma imparts her own special brand of wisdom!
Anyway, back to walking; as I’m sitting in the car waiting for my boys to come out I watch all the others pouring through the doors and making their way down the sidewalk. Even from a distance I can tell that they are not ‘my’ boys. I have known and loved them from the moment I knew they were on the way, and that love only grew and intensified with birth and the first couple of years in our family. Now, after watching them navigate their world on their own two feet for many years, I know their walk. When they round the corner of their school and make their way down the sidewalk, I take note of their unique little bounce or swagger and even from more than a block away, my heart takes a leap of pride as I think, ‘Those are my little guys!’
The desire of my heart is that when God looks at me He will recognize my walk as belonging to Him and His family, and that His heart will bulge with pride to call me His!
In the Bible, Ephesians 5:15 says ‘therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise’ NASB. The ‘walk’ here refers to and can be interchanged with the word ‘live’.
So how is your walk? Can people look at the way you live and see that you are a wise, kind, loving person? Will God have good reason to look at your ‘walk’ with pride and say ‘Look at my kid! Isn’t he (she) awesome?’
I want my Father God to see me with the button bustin’ pride I feel when I see my grandkids rounding the corner and I recognize their little man gait making their way to my car!
For that reason I ‘walk’ carefully as I make my way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts