My Disappointment - His Appointment

Have you ever been in the place where you were intensely looking forward to something and suddenly it was whisked out of your hands and there was nothing you could do about it?
A few days ago I was travelling to visit my children and grandchildren. As usual when I make this trek across the prairie provinces I had my favourite music blaring and was singing along gustily ( if that’s even a word! ) when I began to recognize a few landmarks and I suddenly realized where I was.
The memories began to scroll through my mind; here is where I started my first marriage, right there near that First Nations community. I remembered some of the lovely people we got to know and that led me to another memory, a much more recent one.
Two years ago I was finished my autumn visit to Manitoba and began the return trip home. I was planning a short overnight visit to my sister’s house, and the next day after an early departure would stop in at the home of a dear friend for breakfast. Our friendship dated back to high school but we had only recently found each other after many years. Before arriving at my sister’s I got a phone call from my long-lost friend stating that she had made a mistake in thinking their flight to a cruise destination was leaving a day later than it actually was. Therefore our rendezvous was cancelled as they would be boarding the plane about the time I was to arrive at their house.                                                        The disappointment was intense for a moment, but I know that sometimes things don’t work out exactly as I plan them but God very often has a ‘detour’ plan for me and He doesn’t make mistakes.
I prayed a quick prayer asking ‘God, is there something else you want me to do? Someone else you want me to meet?’
Just that quickly the thought came to me, drive past my friend’s house and take the highway through the First Nations reservation where we used to live so many years ago. And of course while there see if I could locate Leroy and Jessie, and I didn’t even remember their last name. Complete peace and contentment flooded me at this point.
The following morning I left as planned, taking the route through the reserve. Arriving at the core of the settlement I stopped at a gas station that offered a cafe as well. Inside behind the counter sat a young lady and to the side stood an older woman, a few years older than myself. I gave my name and began to explain how my husband and I lived there and ran a Sunday School in the home of Leroy and Jessie. Did she happen to know where I could find this couple now, if they still lived here?
The girl gave me a funny look and pointed to the more mature lady beside her. This woman then said ‘I’m Jessie’!
I couldn’t believe it! It turned out she worked there part time. Now this reserve is a large one, so coincidence? I don’t think so! After sharing for a while over a cup of coffee, I left her with one of my newly published books. The story of her life and several losses of family members had left her feeling rather raw and painful. I prayed that her spirits had been lifted a little by my visit and the hope filled words I spoke.
Now, it’s not always that clear, but God has a plan for every one of His children and when we actually want to hear from Him He takes us at our word. Sometimes He adds a little twist to our day, and always with good purpose!
Now when my plans are suddenly re-routed I don’t panic; I know there is a plan in play that is so much bigger than me and so much farther reaching than I can comprehend.
Friend, when your plans go awry give it to God and trust Him to work out the details in a way only He can. Someone needs you, you just don’t know it yet! The Bible tells us in Ephesians 2:10 that we are created for good works, which God has prepared in advance for us to do. He was there; He re-directed my path, then put the lady on my mind, and then set her right in front of me. How much clearer can it get?
As I journey through this life, I don’t look at failed plans as disappointments but as His appointments, and that keeps me going on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts