I Love My Toes!

So two days ago I saw my toes for the first time in about eight years! No, it’s not because my belly got in the way 😜! Due to an old injury a tendon in my foot was torn, causing my arch to fall, and over the years without medical intervention which was never offered, my right foot became extremely distorted and mis-sharpen. Along with this came a lot of pain and difficulty in function as the years went by.
Many of you know that last October I finally underwent reconstructive surgery. Before the operation my surgeon had told me that at a subsequent time, after healing he would have to do another surgery to straighten 3 or 4 toes on my right foot. Because of nerve damage caused by the original injury, the toes had curled under, so badly it was impossible to see the entire toe and nail, rather presenting only tiny nubs to my view.
Now, my ankle and foot are looking quite normal and I am able to walk comfortably, free from pain.
For this I thank God who provided for me a wonderful, competent surgeon. He did an amazing job.
Only my toes were still presenting a bit of a challenge. Balled up, as they were, it was difficult to find shoes that were comfortable, and in fact most caused me a little pain.
I was scheduled to see my orthopaedic surgeon on Wednesday, October 31. The plan was to ask him about setting a date for the next surgery. Now, I was not looking forward to having another interruption in my life and in fact would rather not go that route. Therefore, I had been asking the Great Physician to heal those toes and straighten them supernaturally. I’ll admit it, I’m a wimp! I also know that my God is well able to heal and I want His name to be lifted up by whatever happens in my life! One verse of scripture that came to my mind often in the past years when I got discouraged looking at my ‘ugly’ foot, was this from the New Living Translation ‘How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of the messenger who brings good news, the good news of peace and salvation...’ Isa. 52:7. As I would declare that verse over my foot I would determine again to be that messenger of peace and good news to whoever I contact in my life that day. In doing so I also left the ‘problem’ with the Great Problem Solver!
So here we are, on Tuesday evening the night before my doctor’s appointment; I took off my shoes and socks and happened to glance down at my feet and ...what was that looking up at me??? There they were, my little pink toenails, whom I barely recognized! I hadn’t seen them for so long and just a few days earlier they were still tightly curled! I screamed! I cried! I laughed! I shouted ‘Thank you, Jesus’ recognizing this as nothing short of the miracle it is! I give the glory to God knowing that it didn’t ‘just happen, coincidentally’. God showed me again that He has a plan for my life and I guess right now it’s not for me to spend the next six weeks sitting around recovering from surgery!
The next day I saw my doctor and he agreed there is no need for straightening toes that are already straight. Every time I see them I am reminded of how ‘broken’ they were and how beautiful they are now.
Yes, I do love my toes and will continue walking on them all the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts