It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I’ll just say it. ‘I LOVE CHRISTMAS!’
Before you go all PC on me, yes, I mean ‘Christmas’, not the holidays, or the season, not even family time. All of those things are special to me but they would never be if all those years ago God had not had a heart of compassion for his people and saw the need to send his son, the ‘Christ’, the ‘anointed one’. THAT is what I celebrate every year at this time.
There was a time, a few years back when I loved planning and preparing my childrens’ birthday parties. I loved my children and looked forward to celebrating their birthdays. This involved theme planning, decorating, menu planning and of course the cake which I loved to bake and decorate myself! Then there was shopping for just the right gift. I loved every step from plan to execution. I guess that’s where the turn-around came, clean up not being that much fun!
Now, if I can have that much fun with my child’s birthday celebration, why not in celebrating the birth of my Lord and Saviour?
When Christmas celebration planning becomes too overwhelming or not enjoyable anymore I have to ask myself, am I doing this all to impress others? Am I focusing on the ‘why’? Am I expecting more of myself than is reasonable and doable, financially, physically or timely?
If that is the case then I need to step back and do some serious re-adjusting of priorities and slow down.
Now with my focus in the right place, my heart full of love for my God, family and friends I can accomplish so much more without feeling the pressure to do so and above all enjoy it!
I do love the decorating, not just the tree but here and there throughout the house. At the end of a long day I sit in the warm glow of the fireplace, the lights on the tree and various garlands adding to the beauty of the evening. Christmas carols playing quietly in the background add to the festive atmosphere. I can imagine with joy the excitement of the grandkids opening their gifts and I have peace of mind in knowing that the stuff is all paid for. Indeed it is only ‘stuff’, and I will not be receiving a bill for it next month.
I have baked a few things and plan to do a bit more, but if it doesn’t happen I will still enjoy my Christmas and my family time to the full!
It all sounds rather old fashioned, doesn’t it? But that’s okay because I’m not trying to impress anyone, not even you.
I realize there are so many who are not blessed with all these trappings as I am but the point I’m trying to make is that the trappings and trimmings are nice but without it all I still have the reason for it all hidden deep in my heart. It is my relationship with the One whom we celebrate. The One who gives me a purpose for living every day. If I had nothing else but Him I would have a beautiful, blessed Christmas! And that my friend, is what I wish for you.
Come with me and let’s party on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts