You a Idiot, ‘do?

Okay, I admit, that’s a weird title. But wait! I can explain. Years ago when my oldest grandson was visiting for the day we had the sweetest conversation. I still think about it and it has become my daily challenge.
He was all of two years old, and happily playing and chattering all day. At one point I went to pull out the vacuum cleaner and get something done. I turned it on and the dust began to fly. I checked and found that the bag had been removed but not replaced with a new one. As happens occasionally my mouth went into gear and I said something like, ‘Some idiot didn’t replace the bag!’ I thought I was talking to myself, but quickly realized I had a little audience when a tiny voice questioned, ‘You a idiot, Gwamma?’I tried talking my way out of that one, by assuring him I wasn’t but was sure someone else was. He simply cocked his head to one side and looking very puzzled repeated, ‘Gwamma, you a idiot ‘do?’
Well, I’m still not sure, maybe you know, but like I said before I often think of that. It has made me more determined than ever to cease and desist from laying that or any other label on others. More than that I have been trying very hard not to act like one myself. Some days I think I am successful!
Since a new year has just begun I have been making an extra effort to make my life count for good and for God. I don’t do New Year’s resolutions. Been there, done that, don’t have the t-shirt or anything to show for it. I do like to plan my direction for the next year, praying for God’s leading and then holding my plans and accompanying goals in an open hand. One thought that’s been pressing on my mind lately is this, ‘It is never too late, and I am never too old!’ I was well into my fifties when I decided to take some art classes because I’ve always wanted to express myself in the beauty of painting. I was past sixty when I published my first book. As a child I badly wanted to take piano lessons and it never happened for me. It only hit me recently that there is nothing stopping me now, so guess what? I am now the owner of a new keyboard and so far I’m just playing around on it, when my husband’s not around to hear my ‘joyful noise’! I have committed to seeking out and taking real lessons in the near future. And now that it’s out there I have made myself accountable. And it feels GOOD!
There is still so much life to live and so much to live for. Gone are the idiot days, ‘Gwamma’s on the go so fasten your seatbelt!
God has awesome plans for my life and, yours according to Jeremiah 29:11. I know I refer to this verse often and that’s because I have found so much inspiration in it. I want to get to the finish line and know that I have made every effort to fulfill my God-given potential.
And on that note I will leave you and continue on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts