So Love, eh?

So today is the day all eyes and ears are turned to ‘LOVE’! Actually by the time you read this the day will be in the past and for many, no more thought will be given to this very broad subject until next year at this time.
I think of the love exchanged between friends, of which I am blessed to have many. It’s easy-going and casual; not too many demands and if it becomes so there’s an easy escape hatch. People grow apart and life takes us down different roads, quite often into the path of new friendships. Many friendships change so much as to become a bit like a cocoon, distant and dormant for a time, then emerging to prove themselves more steadfast and beautiful than you can imagine! As a teenager I had a special friend in high school. I am ashamed to admit that I allowed the friendship to lapse. We both got married, had babies, raised them and got old(er)! Several years ago I was able to find some contact information for her, which I had been searching for for a while. No awkward moments, it was like not a stitch in time had passed. It is different though. Now we enjoy a more mature relationship, both having gone through some difficult times and bearing the scars, both having come through stronger and more beautiful of spirit. Yes, sort of like a butterfly busting out of the confines of immaturity and embracing who we have become, both wanting to bring life and beauty to our corner of the world!
Then there is family! Nine years ago our children all decided to converge on our house for family day weekend. February 14th happened to fall on a Sunday that year but on Saturday we all went to Banff and spent a lovely day doing various activities together. The next day  was party time with birthday celebrations, cake and all, since my birthday just happens to fall on Valentine’s Day. What a fun time that was and in memory more special because it was the last time we enjoyed family time with all of us there and healthy. Less than three months later we were told that cancer had metastasized in their dad’s body and made it into his bones. Less than a year later he had left this earth for his Heavenly home. That weekend will always stand in my memory as a time to treasure!
Then there is the love between sweethearts. This can be anywhere from nineteen to ninety and beyond. Love has no boundaries, age or otherwise. In fact the further it spreads the richer it becomes, and the richer the life it pours out of! Seems ironic , doesn’t it, the more love you pour out the more you have yourself. This is especially true in romantic love; the more you share of yourself the more fulfilled you will be. Hold back and life seems empty.
Yes, love has many faces. Just this morning I was informed that my honorary ‘niece’ had given birth to a baby girl today, on my birthday no less! I was beyond ecstatic and just a little bit in love! And I have not met this child, yet!
The best and greatest love of course is the love God has shown for us. My Bible says that while we were sinners He sent His only son to live and die for us, so that we could have a relationship with the creator God. In that unlovable state He loved us first so that we can have the ability to love Him back.
I can’t think of a greater love than that, can you?
So now, being confident in the love of Jesus, my spouse and family and my friends, I will walk in love toward others on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts