IN ALL HONESTY

Not that I’m ever dishonest with you; I just try to take a more positive position. I have found that negativity only drags others down a level or two and at the same time pulls me even lower.
Having said that, I confess that tonight I come with a heart full of sadness. A friend and neighbour stopped in this evening with her little dog. I met her only last summer and Zorro was her faithful companion, always there, always ready for a little bit of lovin’. He was up there in doggie years but had a lot of love and adoration to give in return. A couple of months ago she became aware that he was not well; now after a long time on medications and no improvement, but rather continuing weight loss, which as a small dog he could not afford, she had to make a decision.
She had to carry him to my house and in tears announced that he is going to ‘doggie heaven’ tomorrow morning. My heart aches for a friend who is losing a much loved, faithful companion of fourteen plus years!
Even I will miss the little fur ball; he loved to curl up at our feet under my kitchen table as we chatted over coffee or lunch. I could see the decline in health and weight as his spine and ribs became ever more pronounced. Yes, he’s not human but he is one of God’s creation and it makes me sad to think of the grief that my friend will endure. My family also lost a long time furry friend when our children were younger, and it hurts. The first few weeks of coming home from somewhere and not being greeted at the door with doggy kisses drove us all to our bedroom where we hugged and cried for a while. Over time these occurrences happened less and less often as grief was washed out a little more each time.
No, she will never forget him, but the sharpness of the pain of missing him will become less. As we know, the God of all comfort comforts us in all our sorrows whether it is the loss of a human companion or other.
The awesome thing about my God is, He meets me wherever I am; He wants to meet you wherever you are. He is not limited to certain situations only. There are way too many things that can cause heartache in life and God is very aware of His hurting children. I pray that we all would become more aware of Him and His propensity to bring healing and wholeness to the ones He loves.
That’s my heart tonight as I continue on the way to the party.

Comments

Popular Posts