LOOKING BEYOND

It’s that time of year again; after the cold, harshness of winter the warmth of the sun creeps into the nooks and crannies of the yard melting away every chilling trace of snow and ice.
My fingers itching to play in the dirt, I donned my gardening gloves and went to work cleaning out last years old growth, now dead and dry. Next came the task of preparing the soil for new planting, setting out pots that will hopefully soon contain  rainbows of colour that will cheer my days and cleaning up the little accessories that welcome my fine feathered friends to stop over!
As my hands became busy with the chore before me I thought about how great the yard would look when the job was done and I thought about how clean and light my soul feels when I tidy up and rid myself of mental and emotional ‘stuff’ that builds up and tries to take over. I realize that after a good spiritual shower in the cleansing word of God I not only feel cleaner and better but look better and more appealing as a child of God.
I’ve been attending group meetings with the purpose of  seeking healing and freedom from hurts, habits and hangups. At this time we are learning how to take inventory and frankly, I’m finding it much more difficult than I could have imagined, having walked in my faith in Jesus Christ for many years. I’m learning that it is never too late to learn more about walking clean and free! As my hands got busy so did my mind and what was impressed on me was this parallel; there is always negative  influence in my life that needs guarding against and plucking out. There are always bad attitudes popping up that need to be discarded. Left alone they wreak havoc in my relationships, with God as well as the people I love. After the cleaning out process is completed there is now room for new growth, the beauty resulting in a kaleidoscope of colour and joyful purpose. I pray that I will look like that as I, by the grace of God, find the courage to stay on top of the ‘weeds’ that enter my life!
Now at the end of a tiring day, I know my work will not be in vain as others enter my yard throughout the summer months and see what was accomplished, and experience the calm peace and comfort as a result. I am reminded that even Jesus prayed in the garden before His arrest and crucifiction, ‘Please remove this task from before me, nevertheless not my will but yours be done’. He went through with the entire plan of salvation because He looked forward to the result, restoring His children to a relationship with Him.
In Hebrews 12:2 we read that because of the ‘ joy that was set before Him, He endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.’
Yes, it’s been a big day and yes, I’m just a wee bit exhausted but it feels good to know that because I persevered good things are to come!
And this is how I roll on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts