MEMORY LANE

Okay, so the past two days have spilled their share of reminiscence into my life and I’m still walking in a thin mist nostalgia! On a two day trip from our home to Winnipeg we spent many hours, first following trails from my husband’s past, and then adding some of my own today. As we were having dinner in a small town grill I was explaining how some of my high school days culminated in trips to this very place and if memory serves, even the very same table we were at.
It is good to look back and remember; good times, sad times, hard times and times we can learn from,  even times that will simply make us feel good and bring on the warm fuzzies!
It may not be such a great idea to keep our eyes focused on where we come from and thereby not pay attention to what is ahead. However, they both have their part to play.
Tomorrow we head to our final destination and spend some quality time with grandchildren! Here comes the fun part and here is where we turn our focus to the future. We can look forward to being challenged, taught, laughed at and of course entertained! Kids grow up so fast it is difficult to keep up with their progress and yet I find they are very accommodating and willing to educate us on their current ‘kick’.
Philippians 3:13 challenges me to forget what is behind and ‘strain’ towards the goal that is ahead. No, I will never actually forget; whatever has happened in my past has formed me. It has caused me to develop into the person I am today so there will be no forgetting. However, I no longer focus on my past, rather I move on and turn my thoughts and efforts toward the future, those things that are still in the making.
I observe with joy how God can take one incident and use it to teach me a much needed lesson, or use it to encourage me or someone else, and in some cases just plant His love on me and keep me moving ahead for one more day!
Yes, I do love the occasional meander down memory lane, but more than that I love that I can look ahead and see clearly, unhindered the path before me because it’s the only way to walk on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts