STRUGGLE THROUGH THE ‘PLUNKY’

I’m sure you’ve had days like that; everything just seems to be a struggle, taking that extra effort to push through. Then you wake up the next morning and sail through the day with hardly any effort at all.
Just the other day I was plodding through my keyboard lesson with great heaviness. In utter discouragement I turned to my teacher and expressed my frustration at the ‘plunky’, very unbeautiful sounds coming from said instrument! She offered her encouragement with these words, ‘Sometimes you have to struggle through the plunky for awhile and suddenly you get it. It clicks and begins to sound entirely different; better!’ Then it begins to be more fun than hard work.
Yes, I thought, so many things in life are like that; difficult and challenging for sure but if you push through, those very same challenges can be turned into joy and fulfillment. Then one day you look back on all you have accomplished, and the pain of the struggle has become a distant memory; the ‘plunky’ has become a beautiful melody as it plays out the song that is your life!
Where are you in your life right now? Are you in the struggle stage? Are you beginning to see and feel the cadence of your purpose in life? The psalmist David in the Bible has a lot to say about music and what it does for the soul. In fact He demonstrated in playing his harp for the very disturbed King Saul, how music can calm fears and settle the anxious heart.
Nine years ago when my first husband became very ill I began a struggle like no other and for the next eight months I felt like I was literally plunking my way through every day. After the ultimate tearing apart in death, I felt the strength of my God in a way I never had experienced it before and one day I realized the walk was indeed becoming easier. I found truth in the phrase ‘practise makes perfect’. Not that I woke one day and found I had achieved perfection, but in doing every day what I had to do I was becoming better at it and the plunkiness had evolved to an easy rhythm that was much more pleasant to live with.
If you have a moment I invite you to grab your Bible and read Psalm 81. It will calm your clamouring  mind and bring rest to your tired body; the struggle will fade away as you give in to the music that God made you to be!
As for me, I will plunk my way through the struggle and serenade myself with lovely music on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts