FEED MY LAMBS

I have the weekly privilege of helping to distribute food out of a centre near my home. It would be an understatement to say I enjoy my involvement there. Rather, I will say that I have a passion for feeding people whether it’s good, nutritional fare or those yummy treats that are blacklisted by just about every diet plan out there! I am mesmerized by the sight of my friends and loved ones lifting fork or spoon to their mouth and actually enjoying the result.
Therefore when I had an opportunity to tour the warehouses that supply our little hub with one of life’s basics I jumped at it. I was not disappointed; it seemed like acres of space that were filled or waiting to be filled with goods that will lighten the load for many families in our city. It was here that I learned of the many programs run out of that centre, not only the one that supplies our needs.
 For the first time I heard about the ‘Food box program’. Here the boxes of nutritional foods are supplied to schools for the purpose of supplementing the childrens’ lunches. Some of these kids may come to school with nothing, others with very little and possibly nothing nutritional. Yes, I guess I know we live alongside many that struggle daily to provide food for their families, and there are many little ones in my beautiful, blessed city that go hungry every day. And yet I left there with a heart full of thanks to God for raising up faithful people who are willing to help fill the need and eyes brimming with tears for those who find themselves perpetually in need. My tears are those of sadness for the ones that suffer as well as thanks for those that care and joy that I can be one who does just a little, oh so little, to ease the burden.
There was a time in my life when out of necessity I, too, visited a similar outreach and was accorded the help we needed and my praise goes to God for providing for us in this way! Now it’s time to give back.
And yet, I can’t stop there. When Jesus Himself told his apostle Peter to ‘Feed my sheep’ I believe He was talking about bring the ‘bread of life’ referring to Jesus to those around us. In my walk with my Lord God, I have found the deepest joy and purpose, one that leaves me satisfied with a relationship like no other. This is what I am asked to bring to the world around me as well. As fulfilling as physical food is to the body so walking and talking with Jesus is to soul and spirit!
So now as I head done the road every day I am reminded that there are many needs around me and God is calling me to bring the answer, whether in the physical sense of the spiritual. Either way I am, indeed feeding His lambs as I continue on my way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts