MAKING SCENTS

I’ve discovered my favourite drink of the season! Since you could never guess it I’ll tell you; it’s rhubarb juice! I know, right? I have my own method of making it and just recently came up with a way to enhance it. Last night after I had mixed the drinks and was sharing with a friend she took a sip, commented on the delicious taste and said ‘....point me to the beach!’ I thought, how coincidental, I was just thinking, ‘this reminds me of the beach in Mexico.’
I’m not kidding you, not wanting to brag but it really is delicious and refreshing and alcohol free!
Now, I’m not here to promote my recipe for a rhubarb cocktail but rather share a brief lesson that came to mind today. I was busily crushing the mint to be added to my juice when it struck me, the overpowering fragrance of the fresh mint was quickly filling my kitchen and I stopped what I was doing for a moment to revel in the pleasant scent. I then realized that until I crushed the herb there was no aroma. The sweetness poured out only after it was broken and crushed. It was there all along but until tragedy ( for the plant ) struck the beauty was sealed inside, unable to escape. I sighed; so like our lives!
2 Corinthians 2:15 talks about our lives being the sweet aroma of Christ to God. What is in my life? What is in your life? When trouble hits and hard times come the ‘crushing’ begins. It is then that whatever is on the inside comes pouring out! Will it be impatience, hatred, unforgiveness, vile words and downright nastiness? Or will the fragrance of unconditional love, the joy of the Lord, words that build up and encourage permeate our space? Whatever we put in and nurture in the good times will pour out when circumstances get tough. The wise man that built his house on the rock did not wait for the storm to come and somehow magically infuse strength; he built the strength into the house and when the storm struck the building did not fall. It. Stood. Firm. And. Strong! On the other hand the man who built his house on sand ( not recommended as good foundation material ) saw it crumble in the midst of a storm.
In this life stuff gets thrown at us on a regular basis, we get to choose what we build into our lives and therefore what kind of scent we carry around with us. Is it the pleasant aroma that attracts others so that we can lead them to faith in Jesus Christ or is it a stench that causes them to cross the street when they see us coming?
In this life I want to be the one that draws others towards me, not BECAUSE of me but because they sense the presence of Jesus in me. I want to walk in close proximity to everyone I’m bringing with me on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts