SOMETIMES I HURT

Life is a potpourri of many things; things that bring tears, gentle falling or maybe torrents. Maybe both within a two minute span. Things that bring laughter, a tiny bubble that bursts out of you spontaneously or builds up to a dull roar that ends in belly laughter! Of course there is always the stuff that puts you in the thoughtful zone or light hearted realm and let’s not forget the gripping sadness that creeps into each life as well.
The past week has definitely dished out its share of that. Our family suffered the loss of a wonderful man; one who was hard working, caring and loving always giving of himself to help anyone in need. I remember the times when I was blessed to be the recipient of his acts of kindness! As a new widow myself he showed up to do a few tasks that took a physical strength that I did not possess. The cheery, willing attitude displayed made my day, week and even my year!
As a long-standing member of my family ( I don’t remember a time when he wasn’t married to my sister ) he is very much missed but I think of where he is at this moment and how he must be celebrating his arrival at this party I’m always writing about!
At a time like this family tends to assemble and congregate to celebrate the life that was. I marvel at how just being in the presence of family members, many of which I see only rarely, can infuse such strength and feelings of completeness and belonging into my soul. These are dear ones who can and have hurt us but the miracle of forgiveness has created a turn-around; these are those that still have the power to hurt but when the tough times come we stick together. These who make us cry also have the power to make us laugh until our sides ache and as is typical in my family turn back to tears in seconds!
I must remind us all at this time that family is not simply a result of society but rather a foundation designed by the Creator God and it is His plan to portray the relationship He desires to have with us. He made us to be His family. He loves us with all He’s got and hurts when we hurt, He smiles when we smile and I can even see Him holding His sides in doubled up laughter as He beholds the antics of His kids!
So how do we continue on when pain has suddenly shot its arrow into our lives? In my case it worked to pull together as family and learn to appreciate and love each other again in spite of differences. This is where we encourage and lift each other up and maybe even celebrate our differences?
In any case I believe family is a good thing and a God thing and I’m enjoying mine on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts