JUST WAIT FOR THE GOOD STUFF

Now, I have to say that patience has never been my strongest characteristic. However, as I have matured and gotten older I believe I have been able to develop patience to the degree that now the struggle is less, definitely, than it used to be.
A very clear picture of what patience entails was presented to me about eight years ago. My granddaughter, about six at the time took me up on the invitation for a ride to the nearest town. I had some business to complete there and of course time with Grandma always included a ‘treat’ break!
While rolling down the country highway towards the neighbouring town we chatted about many things, mommy, daddy, school friends, brothers and of course the kitten she hoped to have one day.
At one point we were driving past a field covered in lovely yellow flowers. This caught her attention and she asked me what kind they were. I answered that it was a whole field of canola and it made these beautiful flowers. Then I went on to explain that canola was grown so that when it was ready for harvest an oil was extracted from it and that’s the kind of oil we use to fry doughnuts in. I asked if she liked doughnuts and she assured me she did so we made a date to make doughnuts at Grandma’s house when summer was over.
With that in mind we continued the drive to town, completed my task and enjoyed our ‘coffee’ break!
Shortly after we started back home we again came across the lovely yellow field. Suddenly an excited little girl voice piped up and said, ‘Hey Grandma, can we go pick some of the flowers and then when we get home we can make some doughnuts with them?’
I chuckled on the inside as I spoke to her very seriously, explaining how the flowers turn to seeds and the oil is taken from the seed and all this takes a lot of time. Maybe she didn’t exactly understand but I was confident she had the concept!
The Bible has a lot to say about patience and here are a few verses for you to explore: 2 Chronicles 15:7; Galatians 6:9; Jeremiah 29:11; Hebrews 10:36; Psalm 40:1. These are only a few and I’m sure you could come up with a lot more. The point is, all good things take time. Life and all that comes with it is a process. I am reminded that when I was expecting my babies I was very ready to give birth halfway through the pregnancy, but I knew the babies weren’t ready at that point. How grateful I was to God for keeping them safely in their little ‘cocoon’ in spite of my impatience. In each case at the proper time I was delivered of a fully developed, healthy, adorable bundle of joy!
Worth waiting for? You bet! More fun than a tub of doughnuts!
Do you suppose there will be doughnuts at the party feast? I’m not sure but that feast itself is worth waiting for; don’t miss it!
In the meantime I might munch on a doughnut or two on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts