PERSISTENCE PAYS.

I cast frequent glances out of my kitchen window, waiting for the live show to begin. I had re-filled the bird feeder about four hours ago and it usually would take about that long for the bright eyed, bushy tailed species to discover the new snack! Then I saw him! Sneaking up along the top rail of the fence. There he sat under the feeder, weighing his chances and I could almost see the wheels in his tiny brain turning, measuring distance and calculating it against his size, weight and reflexes. With one rapid, smooth movement he managed to get his front paws resting on the edge of the tiny trough and just as quickly his mini muzzle was buried in the delicious contents. This is where he got a little greedy! Wanting more and faster he allowed his hind feet to leave the security of the fence rail. In mere seconds his rear legs were flailing in mid-air and eventually he was able to regain his equilibrium, but alas! He was now hanging on to the trough with all fours but hanging upside down, his face nowhere near the tasty treat!
As you can imagine I was standing there at my kitchen sink in stitches! As hilarious as it was to watch there followed a sobering thought.
I have seen many people do the same when going after something that was never meant for them in the first place. Whether a relationship, or job/career or just stuff. There are so many things that God has promised us, His children; peace, joy, comfort, His never ending care and provision, health and well being. These are all ours freely simply because as His children we are entitled to all that He has. Yet so many are not happy with persuing what a loving God has prepared for them ( Ephesians 2:10 ) so they go off the rails and give all they’ve got to get what they think they want. They end up getting hung up; upside down clawing around for a foothold!
On the more positive side, I had to admire my fluffy friend’s tenacity in going after something that he saw of value to himself. When we see a promise that God has given let’s go after it with everything in us, knowing that when all is said and done we will receive the promise! ( Hebrews 10:35 )
Where do you see yourself in all this? Are you chasing after things that leave you feeling empty and unfulfilled? Or are you right now hanging onto a promise of God with confidence, waiting for the reward? I urge you to find and hang onto what God has promised! It truly is the only way to a full life.
As for me I plan to hang on tight; I may arrive hanging upside down but I will be hanging on all the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts