HEADIN’ HOME

I just arrived back home after being away for almost two weeks. It was that time of year again when I head east to visit family and friends. This is a trip I try to make about twice a year; it is difficult enough living two provinces away from daughters and grandchildren. And then of course there are many siblings, with being the youngest in a family of thirteen. Again it brought a few special surprises, connecting with nieces, nephews and even great nieces and their babies. One of the highlights was touching base with an old friend from elementary school days whom I had not laid eyes on in about fifty five years! We had dinner together and spent an hour and a half catching up; what a joy to share our lives, heartaches and happiness. All the more to be thankful for and pray victory over.
As amazing as all the special people and visits are there is nothing that compares with the elation I feel each time as I turn my car toward the west and head for home! You see, I am quite the homebody at heart, so as much as I love to go away and take a break there is no better feeling than clicking my red shoes together and headin’ home! Figuratively speaking of course.
As I drove I gave way to my senses and allowed them to soak in everything just as it came. I noticed how the trees and bushes, which were a pale shade of green and barely kissed with touches of yellow on my trip east had now graduated into golds and oranges. Even the leaves letting go of their tenuous hold on the tree limbs and wafting down with the gentle breezes. As I drove into the day, the heat outside made it necessary to make use of my air conditioner. I found I quite enjoyed the contrast of heat on my left arm and shoulder caused by the sun’s rays magnified by the window, even as I could feel the chill of the AC blasting it’s refreshing coolness onto my right arm.
In the rare moments between my favourite music blasting through the speakers and over the constant sound of highway driving, I could actually hear the sweet trill of birdsong through the closed windows of my car.
At one point I drove past a field under heavy activity and caught a whiff of  harvest scent; just a bit of nose candy!
And of course I didn’t miss the treat of wildlife; one lonely coyote trotting nonchalantly through the ditch alongside the highway. Then came the antelope, at least three small groupings in the field near the road. Yes, it was a lovely trip home!
I think of the road of life we are all travelling on and for many of us the trip has its share of unpleasant surprises as well. Please know, you are not walking alone; in the times of loneliness and pain Jesus wants to walk along as your companion. He desires to carry your burden of heavy sadness and cares and He would love to share your sweet moments of joy with you as well!
I don’t know how many more trips I will be making across the country to see my family but I do know that whether I drive away in my car or stay at home and live my life in the usual manner I am loving life and headin’ home on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts