OH BOY OH BOY!

I’m not too ashamed to admit it; in fact I am proud of the fact that I love kids! They are just the most amazing, curious little creatures ever to walk this earth. In the past month we have been incredibly blessed to have a lot of our family visit us, four of which included children of various ages.
The truth is I learned a lot about myself during this time. For instance, I am old! One little guy asked me why my skin looked funny. I immediately thought, ‘Trick question’, so instead of committing myself I simply looked at him, wide-eyed and replied, ‘I don’t know, why do you think it looks funny?’ The response came quickly, ‘Because you’re old!’ If I was ever in doubt before, that certainly cleared things up!
Of the four families visiting with children there were nine boys and two girls, all ranging in age from 5-16. They did not all visit at the same time but we did enjoy some overlap. It was sheer delight for me to stay back and just observe the distinct differences in gender reactions to their surroundings. The girls a little more sensitive to others feelings and more quiet and gentle in their responses, while still exhibiting an obvious spark and zest for life. The boys? What can I say? Their exuberance in expressing aggression reaches all new heights when in the presence of cousins and adults other than parents. If you have not yet caught on, I loved every minute of it!
Just a few days ago I was at a supper gathering where I struck up a conversation with a tiny girl at my table. She was probably six or seven years old, and very anxious to go play in the playground next to us. She had been instructed to finish her meal first, however. In the course of our chatting back and forth she paid me the highest compliment when she said, ‘I wish you were a kid so you could come and play in the playground with us.’ I assured her that I wished so as well. As the conversation took a different turn she asked if I was a grandma to which I replied that I was. Then she wanted to know how many grandchildren I had. Easy answer, ‘Eighteen’. Then, ‘How old are they?’ and ‘When are their birthdays?’ By this time I was laughing outright, not to make her feel bad but I honestly cannot remember all their birthdays. Since I inherited most of them recently I am still learning.
A few weeks ago we had the privilege of hosting a young family from France for four days. She had been a foreign exchange student in our home in Manitoba twenty two years ago. Now visiting with her husband and two boys we re-established our relationship. On the drive to the airport on the morning of their departure the youngest asked his father (in French) if people would understand him when they got back to Paris. His father promised they would so he declared that he would then talk to everyone! So cute and yet my heart went out to the little guy, only six, who had spent three weeks in a country where no one understood him, and he did love to talk and tell stories about his day!
When Jesus walked this earth He stood a young child in the midst of His very grown up disciples and boldly declared the worth of little ones. In fact His pronouncement against any that would do them harm was harsh by any standards.
I’m afraid that in my lifetime of busyness I have not always lived by the words of Christ in my dealings with these precious little ones. My challenge to myself and all of you is that we remember their worth, not just eternal but here in this lifetime. Jesus Himself made it clear that in order to enter the kingdom of Heaven we need to become like children. Like children in their innocence, honesty and purity of trust!
I cannot wait to meet a few more of these wonderful little creatures on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts