FILL YOUR THANK TANK

It’s that time of year again when we scratch our chins and strain our brains and try to come up with some unique things that we can express our thanks for.
So why does it have to be unique or different. Our son had a standard line or should I say word, ‘Turkey’, when asked what he was thankful for.
What really inspires thankfulness in me is all the little things in my everyday; I am grateful to God for His daily provision. The scripture Mathew 6:25-34 is so much more than pretty sounding poetry. It is a promise from my loving Heavenly Father that all y needs are met because He cares for me. These daily needs go from basics like food and water, shelter and clothing to all the peripherals that add beauty and warmth to my day. Green trees that change colour with the season’s change, green grass that feels cool and refreshing on my bare feet and the many hues and sweet scents of flowers fill me with gratitude for life itself.
The sensation of little arms around my neck in a loving hug and a tiny hand exploring my face and poking an inquisitive little finger into my mouth melts my heart with thanks to God, the creator of life and relationship!
The fragrant steam rising from my coffee mug as I sit with my legs curled up under me sharing a heart to heart time with a dear friend, daughter or sister lights me up. This, all of it, is a litre of thanks to be poured into the tank. The more we pour in the further our lives will go, the more we can accomplish.
The word of God assures us that it is our praise to Him that moves His hand in our favour. 2 Samuel 22 starts with the psalmist giving praise and thanks to God and then goes on to describe all the works God has performed for him.
I’ve heard it said that what you focus on will be magnified in your life. If the focus is on negative things and circumstances we invite more of it into our lives. If we center our thoughts on positive things, the good in others, people and happenings that is what we’ll have more of. We really can’t see all the good around us without being reminded to give thanks for it.
Now, I have shared a few of the things that move me to thankfulness, and this is a very short list. There is so much more I could have included. Now it’s up to you to create your own list. Have fun doing it!
Recently I heard a line in a movie which grabbed my attention. It comes in the form of a question, ‘Are you happily grateful or grumpily hateful?’
When I really stop and think about it, I believe I want my thank tank kept full so that I won’t run any risks on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts