BEARLY PREGNANT!

 Recently my husband and I made a day trip to beautiful Waterton Park. While there we took a boat ride on the lake, crossing briefly into the American side and going back. On the return trip we spotted a mama bear with her two cubs. There was mom standing on her hind feet and one baby right beside mimicking her.  The other one, a little on the shy side, was hiding in the bushes.

Our guide went on to explain how a bear’s gestation period works; I was a tad jealous! Apparently, mating season takes place in May and June. At that time the fertilized egg is implanted and that is that, for a while. We were told that during the entire summer the female bear is ‘kinda’ pregnant. Or as I like to say, ‘bearly’ pregnant! When food is plentiful in the warm summer months mama bear eats and eats and eats. The baby is not yet developing. As fall approaches she continues to pack on as much fat as she possibly can; she is preparing for hibernation and all the extra fat will sustain the new life once it starts to grow.

In late fall or early winter mom senses the need for a nice long nap, finds a cosy spot and settles in. It is at this time that the baby begins to grow and develop; this phase lasts for eight weeks before the cub is born. 

So now you know why I’m jealous! Eat all you want, sleep through the entire pregnancy, give birth IN your sleep and here’s the really good part; the young one is born at approximately nine inches in length and weighing less than a pound! After giving birth to four babies from nine to twelve pounds at the end of a nine month pregnancy I can only dream!

The point of a delayed gestation is that the female needs to put on all that extra weight for her own health and the safety of her young. If food is scarce and she has not amassed enough fat the embryo will not be able to develop and will spontaneously abort.

It makes me think, how often God will put a thought or seed of desire in my heart. Then it becomes my responsibility to feed the seed with faith-filled words that express God’s desires for me as written in His word. There have been times when my thoughts, words and attitude became so negative in a given situation that the beauty of a meaningful plan designed by my creator God could not grow and I was the one to miss out on the blessing I should have seen. Realizing this makes me more aware of the path my thoughts are on, and where I allow my thoughts to go my words follow and results ensue accordingly.

As I continue on my way I am determined to give more time and energy to know God, His word and His will for me. Life is too short to miss out on all He has for me. Still moving forward and ‘feeding’ my way to the party!


Comments

Popular Posts