TRADING UP

Some time ago I heard the interesting, almost unbelievable story of a young man who traded a paper clip for a pen. Of course that was just the beginning; by the time the story ended he had continued to trade up until he was the proud owner of a home, simply by trading in many varied items!
This brings to mind a time years ago when our then five year old daughter was quite eager to buy a piece of bubblegum from her older, wiser brother. Said treat had somehow miraculously survived a whole day after our weekly ‘treat night’ the evening before! Older brother was smart enough to know that we would allow bartering to an extent without interference, but he dare not carry it too far. Finally a price was agreed upon and an excited little girl scampered happily up the stairs for her piggy bank.
“How like some adults,” my husband said, “ going after material possessions with all their energy, not minding the cost”.
In this case I’m sure it was her brother who got the better end of the deal by trading up!
In Revelation 3:20 we read, “ Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me.” When I invited Jesus to come into my life, I served Him all I had, the very best. There is just one little problem with that. Outside of God we are told that ‘All our righteous acts are as filthy rags’. Jesus came to make us righteous through faith in Him. So, when I laid out my best, all the pain, resentment, unforgiveness and sinful desire, He took part in all of it in what He accomplished on the cross of Calvary. Then He served me with forgiveness, peace, love and the power and ability to live in victory! It seems that I am certainly the winner in this trade.
I invite you today to open the door and give your all to Jesus; He will then give His all to you and you’ll know what it means to really trade up. I look forward to swapping stories with you on the way to the party!

Comments

Popular Posts